Keller UK values the concept of work placements to provide a variety of experience and responsibility. So we are always keen to hear from undergraduates studying towards their BEng/MEng Civil Engineering/Engineering Geology/Applied Geology, who are interested in work placements over nine to 15 months.
What we offer
- Real experience compared with classroom or laboratory simulation
- Additional knowledge absorbed alongside experienced professionals
- Understanding of the workplace environment and pressures
- Confidence gained from making a practical contribution
- Experience of team working and dealing with people - at least as important as technical know-how.
- Enhanced employability
The trainee will be introduced to, and obtain practical experience in, a selection of the following ICE accredited objectives:
- Familiarisation with specialist construction problem solving methods, techniques, and plant and equipment used in a wide range of ground engineering applications.
- Introduction to project management including many of the following duties: -
- Setting out and basic surveying.
- Quality Control testing principles and specialist practice.
- Quality Assurance Management.
- A range of full scale ground treatment and pile performance testing and interpretation.
- Dealings with labour force and staff at all levels.
- Client communication.
- Introduction to Health and Safety Management.
- Attendance at site meetings.
- Use of computers for design, technical data manipulation and production control.
- Understanding and interpretation of Conditions of Contract, Specifications and Contract Law.
- Preparation of Technical Proposals, Design Calculations and Method Statements.
- Liaison with procurement, operations control and plant maintenance functions.
- Attendance at “In-House” Technical and Procedural Seminars.